Donuts are not only loved by Homer Simpson, but also a scrumptious sweet treat during Christmas time. I decided to switch up my baking routine and make some freshly homemade Christmas Donuts. You will be surprised how delicious homemade donuts are, the dough is super soft & fluffy! Dipped in a tasty chocolate glaze, you will agree with Homer “Mmm Donuts – Is there anything they can`t do?”.
Mmm Donuts – Is their anything they can `t do?
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 8 tsbp. butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- Oil for frying
- Heat the milk until warm, but not hot. In a bowl, combine the milk with the yeast and stir until the mixture is foamy.
- Stir the eggs, butter, sugar and salt into the mixture. Use an electric mixer with a dough hook to add little by little the flour. Add more flour, 2 tbsp. at a time, if the dough is too sticky. The dough should not be too dry, but easily pull away from the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough with your hands until smooth and to test for the right consistency. Grease a large bowl with a little oil and leave the dough in it, covered at room tempereature, for about 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface (about 1/2-inch thick, 1.3 cm) and cut out circles with a donut cutter.
- Put the donuts on baking sheets covered with baking paper and cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for another 45 minutes. About 15 minutes before the donuts are done rising, heat the oil in a big pot.
- Carefully add the donuts into the oil, a few at a time. After 1 minute, when the bottom side is golden, flip the donuts.
- Heat a chocolate and vanilla glaze and decorate the donuts with stars, white chocolate rasps and pistachios.