As the days are getting cooler, baking is finally fun again. When we turn on the oven, the kitchen is filled with a cozy warmth while the wind is blowing outside. Since fall is the season of chestnuts, walnuts and hazelnuts, I chose a traditional German nut cake with dark chocolate. – A hearty dessert that warms up any cold day.
“A RUSTIC CAKE FOR COLD DAYS”
- 250g butter (room temperature)
- 200 g sugar
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200 g ground hazelnuts
- 100 g chopped hazelnuts
- 250g flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 shot of cognac
- 100g chopped dark chocolate glaze
- Additional dark chocolate glaze
- Some chopped pistachios for decoration
The kitchen is filled with a cozy warmth while the wind is blowing outside
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C.
- Blend the butter sugar and vanilla sugar with a hand-mixer until creamy. Next, add the eggs, one at a time. Mix the flour with baking powder and add the flour mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 shot of cognac and the chopped dark chocolate.
- Grease the “Gugelhupf” tin and evenly spread the dough. Bake the cake in the oven for about 1 hour.
- When the cake is golden brown, let it cool and heat the glazing. Generously cover the nut cake with the dark chocolate glaze and sprinkle the chopped pistachios as a topping.