This weekend our annual summer family reunion took place. It is my grandmothers birthday that has become a wonderful celebration for our entire family, where people from all over the world gather around a big table with good food & drinks. In my grandmothers tradition, lots of homemade cake was served as well – and this lemon-pistachio cake has been a wonderful refreshing treat that everyone loved! I found the recipe that just tastes like summer at HEINSTIRRED, a South African food photographer. It is made with no flour, only ground almonds & pistachios, which makes the cake deliciously succulent. I hope you enjoy this lemon-flavoured summer treat – maybe at your next family celebration!
- 150 g butter softened
- 170 g sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 200g ground almonds
- 130 g ground pistachious (250 g in their shells)
- 100 g sieved icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a rectangular baking form and set aside.
- Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat the mixture well for about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix the baking powder with the ground almonds and stir into the mixture together with the ground pistachios.
- Fill the batter into the pan and bake in the oven for about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, leave to cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare the glaze and sir the sieved icing sugar with lemon juice.
- Remove the cake from the baking form, spread the glaze on top of the cake and sprinkle the chopped pistachios & almonds.