One essence of a breakfast like “god in France” is a freshly baked, warm Brioche. But even if you are not close enough to a French bakery, you can indulge in the popular pastry! As a treat for a Sunday brunch, this Brioche with rich dark chocolate is a reminiscence of the art & tradition of baking in France. If you have already planned your next trip to one of the beautiful French cities like me, I hope you will enjoy this pre-taste of pastries. In the meantime, I`m dreaming of Côte d`Azur by baking brioche…
For the dough
- 250 ml lukewarm milk
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 80 g sugar
- 500 g flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- The zest of 1 organic lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 70 g soft butter
- 1 tbsp. icing sugar
For the chocolate filling
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 70 g butter
- 3 tbsp. icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
Rich dark chocolate & freshly baked Brioche…
- Pour the flour into a medium-size bowl. Prepare a pre-dough by forming a whole in the middle. Crumble the fresh yeast in it, carefully stir with some lukewarm milk, 1 tbsp. sugar and a bit flour from the sides.
- Leave the pre-dough covered at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Add the egg, butter (cut into pieces), a pinch of salt, lemon zest and the rest of the milk. Blend the ingredients with an electric whisk to a soft dough.
- Leave the dough covered again at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the chocolate filling: Cut the chocolate & butter into pieces and melt both in a pot on low heat. Sift the icing sugar & cacao powder and stir into the melted chocolate.
- Roll out the dough on a floured baking surface to a rectangle (40cm x 50 cm, 16 inches x 20 inches). Spread the chocolate filling evenly. Next, roll up the dough starting from the longer side.
- Cut the roll lengthways in two halves and wrap the dough strands around each to a round wreath. Put it on a baking trey with baking paper and leave again covered for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C ( 82 °F). Mix the egg yolk with 2 tbsp. milk and spread on the dough.
- Bake the brioche in the oven for about 40 minutes.