It`s about this time of the year again, when the first Christmas Markets are opening their doors and the smell of winterly spices travels through the streets. This “Lebkuchen” recipe for homemade German gingerbread is easy to make; The wonderful spices of cloves, star anise & cinnamon are warming up hearts on cozy winter evenings.
The wonderful spices of cloves, star anise and cinnamon
Ingredients (for about 40 Lebkuchen)
- 4 eggs
- 200 g cane sugar
- 200 g ground almonds
- 200 g ground hazelnuts
- 15 g Lebkuchen spice (cinnamon, coriander, lemon zest, star anise, fennel, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom)
- 50 g candied orange peel
- 50 g candied lemon peel
- Chocolate glaze & almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with a mixer until foamy. Stir in all other ingredients: Almonds, nuts, “Lebkuchen” spice, candied orange & lemon peel.
- Evenly spread the mixture onto the wafers with a knife and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let the “Lebkuchen” cool down and heat the chocolate glaze. In a last step, decorate the gingerbread with chocolate icing and almonds.
Tip: You can store the “Lebkuchen” well in tin boxes for the upcoming Christmas season.