September is birthday month! Half of my family is celebrating their birthday, including myself. As soon as one party ends, the next one is already starting. – It is a wave of presents, good food and cheerful toasts. This succulent chocolate layer cake with cream cheese icing is the perfect cake for any celebration. Cheers to that and every upcoming birthday!
- 200g butter
- 200g dark chocolate
- 300g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 40g cacao powder
- 250g milk
Filling & Icing
- 50g dark chocolate
- 50g whipping cream
- 120g butter
- 400g cream cheese
- 8-9 tbsp. icing sugar (sifted)
- Colored sugar pearls
- For the Cake: Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Melt the butter and chocolate in a water bath – and let it cool.
- Mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and cacao. Add the milk, eggs and the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Pour the dough into a round baking form (18 cm); and some into a small flat form for the hearts – bake it in the oven for about 1 hour.
- For the filling: Melt the dark chocolate, whipping cream and 20 g of the butter in a water bath.
- Cut the cake into 3 equally thick layers with a knife and spread the melted chocolate between the layers.
- For the icing: Mix the rest of soft butter with cream cheese until creamy and fold in the sifted icing sugar. Spread the icing on the cake. Cut out the hearts to decorate the cake and spread more of the icing.
- As a decoration, sprinkle the sugar pearls on top of the cake, to celebrate a birthday, you can also add candles.